Sunday, April 29, 2007

FITD Mid-Season Readers' Polls

I haven't seen the WIRA or WV Governor's Cup results yet so it's a little early to post these polls, but I'll be unable to post for a few days and I want to get them up. I'd suggest you not vote until you see all results for this weekend.

In the right sidebar, you can vote for the top 10 eights and the top 5 fours. Vote the order you think the boats will be in at the end of the season, i.e. after IRAs. Don't get too wrapped up in lineups and who will get to race whom, just assume the season is over and you're looking back to rank. Make your own assumptions about lineups, about who will actually enter races, and who would win theoretical matchups (especially relevant for the fours).

Perhaps I'm too optimistic, but I think these polls can be the most informative around. It's all predicated, of course, on voters following an honor code. Here is what I think that code should be (I like having just three criteria, but if you have more to add, let me know):

  1. Only vote once.
  2. Vote with your head, not your heart.
  3. Only vote if you can make reasonable guesses for each spot.
I think most readers of FITD can meet the third criterion, so no need to get hung up on it (that's why I use the words "reasonable" and "guess.") Just don't vote if you have no clue beyond the top few. I'll keep the polls up through Friday, with the intention of posting the results over the weekend.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

End of season ranking for the V4 is kind of tricky. If you go by Vails finishes, it leaves out the big schools. Going by EAWRC it'll leave out the small ones.

Anonymous said...

Races were cancelled before the Light 4+ at the WV Governor's cup. Not before the heavy 4+ though and I swear that the water was the worst I have ever rowed in. A 4 flipped and at least 2 4's and an 8 sank before races were called.

Anonymous said...

To be complete, add Loyola Marymount to the lwt4 list.

Anonymous said...

Recently, my college coach told me that LW4s are always just thrown together. He had one girl rowing 3 races, two rowing twice, and a coxswain row at one of our previous races. Is this normally how boats for LW4s are put together?

Anonymous said...

No. At least not the competative ones. I know for a fact that the Light 4's in Pittsburgh (which have been doing pretty well) are practicing their LW 4+ every morning on the water. Or at least on the mornings that the Allegheny has blessed them with rowable conditions...

Anonymous said...

can yeah add some Pacfic North West crews Willemette, Seattle Pacfic, PLU

Anonymous said...

No. 1 women's lightweight boat stays on top

Huh? I thought that Wisconsin was on top in the polls. It looks like some bad fact-checking by the Daily Princetonian. Unless maybe the Tigers are putting out their own poll now?

Anonymous said...

You thought wrong. The USRowing poll has them tied at first.

Anonymous said...

No, actually, when the story was written, on May 1st, Wisconsin was first, and Princeton was ranked number 2. The previous week the two schools were tied. Look here: http://www.row2k.com/polls/index.cfm?cat=college&ID=141&type=USRowing%20Collegiate%20Poll

Anonymous said...

New poll came out today 5/2. Wisconsin ranked first, Princeton second. Should be a close race at Sprints, no matter what they are ranked.